Baumann Skin Type® DRPW: What You Need to Know
If you’re a DRPW skin type, chances are you haven’t paid much attention to skincare products or developing much of a skincare routine, at least until well into your 20s or 30s. In your teens, you didn’t have the oily, acne-prone skin that poses a challenge for many other skin types, and your pigmented skin most like tans nicely or is fair and freckled. Unfortunately, this also means that most DRPW skin types tend to forego moisturizer, sunscreen and other hugely beneficial skincare habits. For this reason, your lifestyle choices are likely your greatest enemies when it comes to your skin’s condition.
But the good news is that it’s never too late to turn your skincare routine around and achieve a younger and healthier complexion, no matter your age.
What Is DRPW Skin?
DRPW, or Baumann Skin Type Number 15, is Dry, Resistant, Pigmented and Wrinkle-Prone. More often than not, DRPWs don’t come into my office until wrinkles have become a problem for them, which may be sooner than other skin types, depending on lifestyle factors such as sun exposure and smoking. DRPWs who have enjoyed carefree fun in the sun, wind or snow without taking proper skincare precautions will face premature lines, wrinkles and discoloration later in life.
Common Problems for DRPW Skin Types
Those with DRPW skin may experience dryness, flaking skin, itching, easy bruising, dark spots on the face, chest, arms, and hands; wrinkles on the face, wrinkled hands, and skin that easily tears if you’re over 50. In addition, DRPW skin may be at a higher risk for developing melanoma skin cancer, especially if you are fair-skinned with red hair.
While all skin types should know and understand their risk factors, DRPW types should pay special attention to what the American Academy of Dermatology describes as the ABCDEs of melanoma. Remember, too, that the lip area is also very prone to skin cancer, so using a lip balm with SPF should be a part of your sun protection routine.
Dos and Dont’s for DRPW Skin
- Use daily sunscreen with at least SPF 15
- Look for barrier repair moisturizers with MLE Technology
- Moisturize at least twice a day
- Use antioxidants and skin-brightening ingredients such as vitamin C
- Eat foods high in linoleic acid, such as flax seeds, pumpkin seeds and walnuts
- Forget to take an antioxidant supplement like Heliocare
- Over-wash your skin or use abrasive scrubs or brushes
- Give up on a retinoid if it irritates your skin. (Instead use it less often.)
- Forget to reapply your sunscreen every hour when outside
Caring for Your DRPW Skin
In addition to using sun protection every day, there are other ways that you can take better care of your skin and help prevent wrinkles and other visible signs of aging. For a list of specific products that I recommend for your skin type, visit the DRPW page on the Skin Type Solutions website. Generally speaking, follow these skincare tips to improve the look and feel of DRPW skin:
- Cleanse with a product that contains glycolic acid and antioxidants to hydrate, exfoliate and moisturize the skin while also helping to prevent wrinkles.
- Take advantage of a great vitamin C serum like Jan Marini C-Esta Serum to reduce pigment and boost collagen production.
- Moisturize with a daytime moisturizer that contains sunscreen and antioxidants as well as hydrating and brightening ingredients. You can also use a night cream with retinol or other anti-aging facial cream.
- Use an eye cream to reduce eye area wrinkles.
- Exfoliate once to three times per week, depending on how resistant your skin is.
Dr. Baumann’s Bottom Line
My advice to DRPW skin types is to make an appointment with your dermatologist. You will benefit much more in the long run by seeing a skincare expert than from facials or other medical spa treatments. Even if wrinkles aren’t a concern just yet, staying on top of your skin’s condition by seeing a dermatologist early is the best way to maintain healthy, happy skin for years to come.
If you’re not sure which of the 16 Baumann Skin Types you have, head over to www.skintypesolutions.com to find a physician who can accurately diagnose your skin type and customize a skincare regimen that has been proven to be effective for your skin.
Dr. Leslie Baumann, M.D. and her team at Baumann Cosmetic Dermatology believe in proof, not promises. World-recognized for both cosmetic and general dermatology, our treatment strategies rely exclusively on evidence-based, scientifically verified products and procedures that promote skin health and a natural appearance. We combine effective medical procedures with individualized instruction on proper skincare, nutrition, supplementation and lifestyle in order to maximize the health of the skin and body as a whole while minimizing the effects of aging. For more, visit Dr. Baumann’s blog for daily updates Monday through Friday, or inquire about an appointment through Derm.net.