Baumann Skin Type® ORNW: What You Need to Know
If you have an ORNW Skin Type, you either have some wonderful genes protecting you from inflammation, acne, dry skin and unwanted dark spots or you are doing a great job of controlling these by using the proper skincare products. You have one major issue that we need to address – aging prevention. If you have taken the Skin Type Solutions Questionnaire given by your dermatologist and received the diagnosis of ORNW skin, your lifestyle habits including sleep quantity, stress levels, diet and choice of skincare products are making you at a higher risk for skin aging and wrinkles and maybe even skin cancer. Do not despair- it is better to know so that you can take preventative steps. This blog will guide you so that you can reduce your risks.
What Is ORNW Skin?
A Baumann Skin Type of ORNW, or number 12, is Oily, Resistant, Non-Pigmented, and Wrinkle-Prone. This skin type is one away from the perfect skin type- number 10. Your only issue is probably large pores. Some of you have already begin developing wrinkles. If you would begin anti-aging products and adopt some lifestyle changes, your skin can switch to the ideal “perfect 10 skin” type called ORNT. Some of you who have more advanced wrinkles would benefit from some anti-aging procedures.
The Goal for ORNW Skin Types
We all live a very busy life and it is difficult, if not impossible, to make all the right lifestyle choices. ORNWs have some natural protection against aging because they make an adequate or increased amount of sebum- an oily substance that contains a high amount of antioxidants. This means that you make your own anti-aging serum! However, your lifestyle choices are making you more susceptible to aging and overriding the benefits of the sebum that you produce.
These habits lead to the wrinkle prone type. Be honest- which of these are true about you?
I have smoked over 50 cigarettes or cigars in my life
I am exposed to second-hand smoke on a weekly basis
I have been to a tanning bed more than 3 times in my life
I am exposed to the sun over 3 hours a week
I spend over 3 hours in a week close to a window during daylight (includes driving)
My face has been sunburned and peeled more than twice in my life
I do not take daily antioxidant supplements like Vitamin E and C
I often get less than 7 hours of sleep a night
I feel stress at least 2 hours a day
My parents have fewer wrinkles than others their age
I eat sugary foods over 3 times a week
I exercise less than 3 hours a week
I do not eat fruit or vegetables every day
If you answered yes to any of these, you are at an increased risk of skin aging and maybe even skin cancer. Don’t stress. I am not telling you that you can never go outside again. You just need to adopt a few protective habits. Eating a diet rich in antioxidants is a good first step. Trying to eat many different colors of fruits and vegetables is a good strategy because each color represents a different kind of antioxidant. Other foods that may give you some protection are red wine, green tea and dark chocolate- so you see- adding antioxidants to your diet is easy!
Lifestyle Changes for ORNW Skin Types
Aging is increased by many factors such as production of destructive enzymes like collagenase, poor function of important genes such as those that produce collagen, increased free radicals, glycation of important proteins, dysfunction of mitochondria or lysosomes. You do not need to understand these processes to combat them. The goal is to lower stress hormones, blood sugar and increase the amount of antioxidants that you consume. Of course– daily sunscreen use and sun avoidance when possible is paramount! Lifestyle changes that you should adopt to attempt to slow aging are:
- Get 7 or more hours of sleep a night
- Reduce stress with yoga or meditation
- Exercise at least 3 hours a week (a mix of weight bearing exercise and cardio)
- Eat fruits and vegetables- 2 portions per meal with a variety of colors
- Smile! Studies show it helps reduce stress hormones.
Skincare for ORNW Skin
Caring for your skin on a daily basis can be as simple as maintaining a regular schedule and using appropriate anti-aging products. Click here to see my favorite products for your skin type. Use these four skincare tips to improve the appearance of your ORNW skin:
- Utilize antioxidants. We already discussed the importance of adding antioxidant food and beverages to your diet. You can also take supplements with ingredients such as polypodium leucotomas. The key is that you want as many different kinds of antioxidants as possible because they work better in combination than alone. No matter how many oral antioxidants ypu get, you will always need topical ones because orally ingested antioxidants cannot get to the skin in high levels. My favorite topical antioxidants include green tea and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C). One light antioxidant moisturizer that that doctors recommend for ORNW skin types is Essopi Triple Antioxidant Moisturizer. One that you can find online is Replenix Power of Three Cream.
- Use a topical retinoid. Retinoids are the family of products that include tretinoin, retinol, and tazarotene. These Vitamin A analogs can help to prevent wrinkles, treat wrinkles and control oiliness. You should start with a low strength retinol such as 2X or 0.25% every third night over your moisturizer. You will slowly increase to nightly use. Not all retinols are good. How they are manufactured, packaged, shipped and stored can affect their efficacy. Click here to find products that I have independently tested and given the “STS Approved” mark.
- Try injectable treatments. Injectable treatment options like the botulinum toxins Botox, Dysport, Xeomin and hyaluronic acid fillers such as Volbella, Juvéderm, Restylane and Voluma can help to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. These injectables work in two different ways: the botulinum toxins relax muscle preventing the formation of wrinkles while hyaluronic acid fillers fill in wrinkles by “plumping” the skin.
- Consider microneedling and other facial rejuvenation procedures. There are many new advances for the treatment of wrinkles that use needles, laser, radiofrequency or light devices. Ask your doctor what procedures will be right for you. You have the perfect skin type for these procedures.
The Bottom Line
ORNW skin is only one step away from the perfect Baumann Skin Type which is ORNT (number 10). Combining lifestyle changes, anti-aging skincare and in office procedures can help you cross the line into the perfect ORNT type. Don’t wait until it is too late. You were blessed with the advantage of antioxidant filled sebum. As you age, sebum production decreases and you will lose this advantage. Stay ahead by adopting anti-aging strategies now— and by the way— it is never too late to start preventing and reversing skin aging.
Dr. Leslie Baumann, M.D. and her team at Baumann Cosmetic Dermatology believe in proof, not promises. World-recognized for both cosmetic and general dermatology, our treatment strategies rely exclusively on evidence-based, scientifically verified products and procedures that promote skin health and a natural appearance. We combine effective medical procedures with individualized instruction on proper skincare, nutrition, supplementation and lifestyle in order to maximize the health of the skin and body as a whole while minimizing the effects of aging. For more, visit Dr. Baumann’s blog for daily updates Monday through Friday, or inquire about an appointment through Derm.net.