Labor Day: Sunscreen and Sun Safety Tips
As a dermatologist, I highly recommend wearing an SPF of at least 30 each and every day of the year; but during the summer, sun protection is even more imperative as the sun’s rays are stronger and we tend to spend more time outdoors. In my opinion, sunscreen is the best anti-aging product available (especially in conjunction with a retinol or a retinoid product at night as well). Here are a few must-know tips and tidbits of information that will help you maximize your sun protection, and prevent the skin damage that leads to visible signs of aging and skin cancer.
- Even an SPF of just 5 daily reduces your lifetime sun exposure by 50 percent by the time you’re 70. Imagine if you use SPF 15 or 30…
- Make sunscreen part of your morning skincare regimen each day. At the very least, choose a moisturizer with SPF, but layering a true sunscreen over your other products is even better.
- For extra protection against sun-induced free radical damage, apply a vitamin C serum after cleansing.
- You need a half of a teaspoon of sunscreen to adequately protect your face. Measure it out and you’ll be surprised at how much that actually is.
- Don’t rely on the SPF in your powder or foundation. Cosmetics rarely provide the sun protection they say they do.
- In lieu of makeup with SPF, try a tinted SPF. Obagi tint and Elta MD Physical are two that I personally use.
- A white t-shirt only provides an SPF about about 5. Invest in sun-protective clothing, especially if you golf, play tennis, or spend a lot of time outside.
- Keep a hat in your car. If you always have one with you, you’re more likely to use it.
- Don’t forget the sunglasses. The bigger the frames, the more protection you get for the delicate skin around the eyes. This is a great defense against crow’s feet wrinkles around the eyes.
- Make sure your SPF says “broad spectrum” on the bottle or tube. The SPF number only indicates your protection against burning UVB rays. Broad spectrum means your skin is shielded from aging and cancer-causing UVA rays.
Dr. Leslie Baumann, M.D. and her team at Baumann Cosmetic Dermatology believe in proof, not promises. World-recognized for both cosmetic and general dermatology, our treatment strategies rely exclusively on evidence-based, scientifically verified products and procedures that promote skin health and a natural appearance. We combine effective medical procedures with individualized instruction on proper skincare, nutrition, supplementation and lifestyle in order to maximize the health of the skin and body as a whole while minimizing the effects of aging. For more, visit Dr. Baumann’s blog for daily updates Monday through Friday, or inquire about an appointment through Derm.net.